Seven Tips for Potential Leaders
Tip One – Start Your Quest for Greatness With Character:
- No building is stronger that its foundation. Pattern your life after strong characterized men.
PAY ATTENTION TO:
a) Character development in honesty…integrity…faithfulness.
b) A Christ-like spirit – “Spirits make men.”
c) A servant concept instead of a master concept
Tip Two – Reach Your Potential Through Trust
- Learn to delegate! You will never reach your potential by trying to do everything yourself. Trust people and help them “become”.
Tip Three – Go for Broke!
- Every great leader comes to the jumping off point. You will never reach your potential by playing it safe!
- If you always hug the trunk of the tree, you will never pick the fruit! You have got to learn to JUMP!…GET ON WITH IT!
Tip Four – Every Great Leader is an On-Going Learner
ILLUSTRATION: A teacher, after 25 years of teaching, did not receive a promotion and questioned the principal.
PRINCIPAL’S ANSWER: “I’m sorry, but you haven’t had 25 years experience – only one year’s experience repeated 25 times.”
“If the iron be blunt and he does not whet the edge, then must he put the more strength” (Ecclesiastes 10:10).
Tip Five – Successful Leaders Learn to Bounce Back Quickly From Their Setbacks:
We learn this trait!
Paul did…”forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press towards the mark…” (Philippians 3:14).
- Make the best of bad situations!
- Avoid self pity!
- Be persistent!
- Adapt quickly!
Tip Six – Learning Relationship skills is a Must if You Are to be an Effective Leader:
- Communication is a must!
- You can pull a piece of string and take it anywhere you want to go. If you push it, it will go nowhere.
- If no one is following you, obviously you are not leading.
Tip Seven – A Good Leader Controls His Growth Gains and Visionary Hopes by Being a Good Organizer.
- It’s the art of bringing order out of Chaos! Organizing is preparing for the greatest efficiency!
- It’s planning for growth.
- It’s making goals to reach for.
- It’s knowing what is most important.
- It’s knowing how much to delegate and to whom.
- It’s knowing when to change…replace…and restructure.
It is my sincere desire that these tips will assist you in becoming the best you can possibly be in the hand of the Lord.
by Paul Vincent Reynolds